DPFoundation:Information for Donors
- 1 How to Donate
How to Donate
The Distributed Proofreaders Foundation (DPF) exists to support the operations of the Distributed Proofreaders website (DP) and the team of volunteers at DP who perform the critical work of producing the ebooks that DP publishes on Project Gutenberg (PG). Without those volunteers DP would not exist, and could not produce its books, and so their contributions of time and effort are critical to the continuing success of DP.
However, in order to keep the site in operation, DPF also requires a continuing monetary investment to pay the costs associated with operating a web site. DPF appreciates any monetary donation you might want to make to help keep DP operating, whether you are a volunteer at DP or not.
If you are interested in making a monetary donation to DPF, we have several options for you to consider:
Checks or money orders
DPF can accept checks or money orders, in US dollars, made out to "Distributed Proofreaders Foundation" and mailed to the DPF Treasurer at the address shown below.
DPF can accept donations via credit card from anywhere in the world using our account with Square.com. To use this method, please contact the DPF Treasurer via email as shown below and provide the following information. The Treasurer will use Square.com to generate an invoice which you can then "pay" using your credit card. Note: All donors using Square.com will need to provide a postal zip code. Donors outside the US do not have zip codes, but still need to provide something; 00000 or 95054 should work.
- Your name
- Your email address
- The amount you wish to donate in US dollars (For approximate currency conversion rates, see this web site or any other currency conversion service you may wish to use.)
Debit cards (US only)
DPF can accept donations via debit cards in the US using Square Cash. You can find general information on Square Cash at https://cash.me/. To make a donation to DPF using this method please visit https://cash.me/$DPFoundation where you will be able to specify the amount you wish to donate and your debit card number.
DPF can accept donations via PayPal. To initiate a donation via PayPal please click here to begin your donation transaction at Paypal.
Corporate Matching Grants
Some employers will match donations made to selected non-profit organizations. If you work for such an employer, please consider checking with your employer to see if they will match your grant and to find out the proper procedures to follow. In order to make this process simpler, DPF is listed with the following donation sites used by some employers who have matching grants programs:
DPF is registered with Amazon Smile. If you purchase books or other products from Amazon, and do so via the Amazon Smile website instead of the normal Amazon website, you can tell Amazon to donate a portion of the amount you spend (currently 0.2%) to DPF. You can use this link to tell Amazon Smile that you want to direct your donations to DPF.
If none of these approaches works for you, please contact the DPF Treasurer for assistance, using one of the methods shown below.
- Email receipts for donations of less than $250 will be provided by the Treasurer using the dpfoundation at pgdp.net email address.
- Physical receipts for larger donations (as required by the US Internal Revenue Service) will be mailed from the Treasurer's Pennsylvania (PA) postal address shown below.
If you have stock that you would like to donate to DPF, please contact the DPF Treasurer for more information via email as shown below.
If you would like to include a donation to DPF in your will, please contact the DPF Treasurer for more information via email as shown below.
Contacting the Treasurer
You may contact the Treasurer either:
- Via email to dpf-treasurer at pgdp.net
- Via postal mail:
Distributed Proofreaders Foundation c/o Charlene Taylor, Treasurer 302 Grove St. McKees Rocks, PA 15136 (Note: This is not the address used during incorporation, but it is the mailing address that will be used by the Foundation when communicating with the US Internal Revenue Service for tax-related purposes.)
- DPF is a 501(c)3 tax exempt public charity. The tax id. or EIN Number is 20-4682326 and monetary donations are tax exempt under US Law. DPF cannot provide tax advice regarding non-monetary donations or donations from other countries. For those cases please contact a local tax advisor or financial planner.
- If you do not receive a receipt in a reasonable time please contact the DPF Treasurer using one of the methods shown above.
- Any mention of other organizations above (e.g., Benevity, Amazon, PayPal, etc.) is not intended as an endorsement or recommendation of those organizations. They provide a service to DPF that may help you direct your donations to us, but you are free to use other appropriate methods. Please contact the DPF Treasurer using one of the methods shown above if you need assistance finding a method that suits your needs.
- Any trademarks or service marks mentioned above are owned by their respective trademark or service mark owners.
Donor Bill of Rights
- You have the right to be informed of DPF's Mission and the way your donation will be put to use.
- You have the right to be informed of who the Trustees of the DP Foundation Board are and to expect sound stewardship of DP.
- You have a right to inspect the most recent Treasurer's report. (For Treasurer's reports, see here)
- You have a right to expect that your donation will be handled with due confidentiality.
- You have a right to know that all workers for DPF and DP are volunteers and receive no pay other than an occasional reimbursement of their personal funds which might be used for their work at DP.
- You have a right to expect prompt and truthful answers to any questions you might have concerning your donation.