To prepare for that, we have upgraded the forums on the TEST server, http://www.pgdp.org, and we invite you to try it out and help us make sure we haven't missed anything.
To do so:
- If you already have an account on TEST, you can go to https://www.pgdp.org/phpBB3 and login.
- If you do not have an account on TEST, you can use the forums as a guest without logging in, or you can create an account by going to https://www.pgdp.org and clicking on the Register link. Please be sure to read and follow the instructions printed in red on that registration page in order to activate your account. You will not receive an email with an activation link. It will be provided to you only on the page you get after registration, and you must copy/paste it into your browser and visit it in order to activate your TEST account. If you forget to do that, please send me a PM and I can help you.
- The most noticeable change is that the board styles have been revamped to be more "responsive" and adapt better to screen size changes. This should make the new forums more usable on phones and tablets. As part of that change:
- All styles are based on prosilver.
- Subsilver2 does not exist for phpBB 3.2. In its place we have provided AllanStyle-SUBSILVER, and we have changed all existing TEST users who had chosen subsilver2 to instead use AllanStyle-SUBSILVER. We plan to do the same when we upgrade PROD to 3.2.
- The mile200 style does not exist for phpBB 3.2. Users of mile200 have had their preference changed to prosilver, and can choose another style if they wish using the User Control Panel (UCP).
- The colors and font used in the Visio style have changed.
- We have installed several additional styles that you may try. We may not keep all of them when we migrate the production system, and we welcome your feedback on which styles we should keep.
- Many links on the forum pages are in different places, and information is rearranged significantly. (To find the UCP, try clicking on your username in the page header.)
- The maximum topic title length has been increased from 60 to 120. This should help us significantly with the project-related forum topics, where long book titles have frequently been truncated in the past.
- phpBB 3.2 has a new "Notification Center" linked from the page header which shows notifications that have been sent to you.
- Notifications can be sent by email (as today) or simply via the Notification Center, or both, as you choose in the User Control Panel (UCP). Note: You cannot test email notifications on the TEST server, as email is disabled there.
- phpBB 3.2 provides new kinds of notifications: You can choose to be notified by email or the Notification Center when:
- someone replies to a topic you have bookmarked
- someone replies to a topic to which you have subscribed
- someone quotes you in a post, using the "quote" button (which adds additional information identifying the post being quoted)
- someone creates a new topic in a forum to which you have subscribed
- someone sends you a PM
- Quoting another post:
- With phpBB 3.0, you have to use " marks around the name of the person you're quoting ([ quote="name"]) but with 3.2 the " marks are optional, even if the name contains spaces.
- When you use the "quote" button to quote from a post, phpBB 3.2 embeds additional information in the [ quote] tag to identify the post and poster. Then:
- When your message is posted the quote will contain a link (small up-arrow) back to the original post you quoted from.
- phpBB 3.2 will notify the quoted user, if they have chosen to be notified when someone quotes them.